Monday, October 15, 2012

Twenty Something

WOW. It's been quite a while since I've blogged. A lot of you have been wondering why perhaps? Well, I've just needed time off from the cyber world to focus on finals and such. Which by the way turned out just great! I won a silver medal for my Australian Finals which I'll probably expound on more in another entry. 

Anyway, I can't believe that I'm finally twenty! I still refuse to say it out loud. I can't call myself a "teen" anymore. It's crazy really how time flies... it's scary yet thrilling at the same time. 

Everybody's been asking me "So, how does it feel like to be twenty?" Honestly, I don't exactly know how I feel. I don't think I feel any different, I mean after all, age is just a number. All I know is that I'm excited to finally be graduating soon because I want nothing else but to travel and see the world!! 

So yesterdays celebration was simple but nice. I celebrated my birthday just chillin' with some of my favourite people followed by dinner in Cav with my family.

If you've read one of my entries months back on my brothers birthday: A Wonderful Turn of Events. You'll know why last nights dinner meant the world to me, so I'm glad that it happened. At least one of my birthday wishes came true. :) 



It was my first time at Cav last night, and just like every restaurant review so far in my blog, it was my mum who introduced me to this Wine Bar Cafe. 


Upon entering, you may feel a bit daunted by the dim-lighting that's quite popularized in fine dining restaurants, but I love how Cav feels formal yet not too formal that you'd have to suit up or anything. Smart casual would be just fine. 




This was the first time I ever got to mechanically have wine poured onto my glass! You can choose either: tasting (25 ml), half glass (75 ml), or full glass (125 ml). Being the easily amused girl that I am, I was definitely impressed. 


I'm not really one who enjoys the company of wine, but my mum's always trying to get me accustomed to it for future travels. 


I got the Beringer White Merlot. I usually loathe wine for the bitter taste it leaves in my mouth, but this was very light and fruity. :)


Last night's Amuse Bouche was composed of:

Green Pea Soup, Spanish Torilla, and Pickled Beetroot with Goat Cheese Panna Cotta.

All very good! The Green Pea Soup was surprisingly my favourite though. 



Crustacean Spaghettini with Lumpfish Caviar

My dad really enjoyed his order. It was "rich and creamy". Serving portion looked quite small but at the end he said it was just about right. 


Dry Aged U.S. Rib-Eye with Mushroom Ragu served with Spinach Gratin and Country Fries. 

Being the steak lover that I am, it was no surprise that this was the first thing in the menu that caught my eye. -- I had it cooked to medium-rare as usual. Cav's steak was definitely one for the books! It was presented beautifully and was melt-in-your-mouth yummy. :)


I'm not really a big fan of vegetables, but I love spinach. (Especially the spinach dip in Cibo. AHH, the best!) The gratin was perfect when paired with the steak. 



Angus Beef Short Ribs served with Cream Cannelili Beans, Kamote Curls and Burgundy Sauce.

My dad ordered this dish. I had a bit of it though, and I was quite jealous. The short ribs were really tender. The whole dish in itself had a great play of textures and of course, flavours. -- It's cooked for about 48-hours, explains why it's so tender!!


Duck Leg Confit with Truffle Macaroni, Red Cabbage, Capers, and Cranberry.

...Now my favourite part, the dessert!!!


Gold Chocolate Dome with Carrot Sherbet

This was pretty good! It was rich, not too sweet, and dense. 



Part of what made my Aubergine dining experience during my last birthday special was the complimentary Macarons. :") I was definitely surprised they served us some here, too!


White Chocolate Brûlée with Chocolate Tuile and Caramelized Bananas

I'm a big fan of Creme Brûlée! Any flavor whether it be plain, chocolate, or in this case my favourite! White chocolate. The delicate flan like texture with the sudden crunch of torched sugar leaves me in smiles. :)


They surprised me with a Valrhona Chocolate Souffle Cake with Grand Marnier, Ice Cream Melt on the Chocolate Tuile and Mixed Berries. :)

It was definitely one of the best birthday cakes I've had! Anything that screams Valrhona never disappoints. 


Outfit of the night:

Chiffon top: Cotton On - High Wasted Shorts with Belt and Nude Mary Janes: Forever 21 - Watch: Fossil - Gold Necklace: The Ramp - Quilted Clutch: Taipei



I apologize for the shaky photos! My camera wasn't set to it's usual setting and was too lazy to fix it. 

Last night was definitely one of the best birthday dinners I've had yet. Not only because of the company, but because the food was outstandingly great! It's quiet atmosphere is perfect for business meetings and intimate gatherings. I had no bad remarks on the service, too. I can't wait to go back and try the rest of what Cav has to offer!

Thanks to everyone who greeted me and made my birthday a happy one! I love you all. :)

INSTAGRAM: arellanoalyssa
TWITTER: @ArellanoAlyssa
E-MAIL: alyssalopezarellano@gmail.com



Cav Wine Shop and Café

Bonifacio High Street
G/F The Spa Building, Lot 5 Quadrant 8, 11th Ave.
Fort Bonifacio, Taguig
(02) 856-1798

No comments:

Post a Comment